Freedom of Information Requests
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) enables the public to request and obtain copies of records that are not routinely available held by all Provincial Governmental public bodies including School District No. 67. Exceptions to this are outlined in Section 12 of FIPPA.
School District No. 67 recognizes its obligations to respond to requests and its obligations to assist requestors with their requests.
A request for records is a written request that potentially could be released, in whole or in part, to anyone.
The Act requires that personal information of others is protected. Therefore, the decision to grant complete, or partial access to records or to refuse access will be made by the Superintendent.
The Act indicates that if the head of a pubic body asks, the commissioner may authorize the public body to disregard a request under section 5 or 29, including because (a) the request is frivolous or vexatious, (b) the request is for a record that has been disclosed to the applicant or that is accessible by the applicant from another source, or (c) responding to the request would unreasonably interfere with the operations of the public body because the request (i) is excessively broad, or (ii) is repetitious or systematic.
Before Submitting a Request
- Read all information on this page and refer to the Act as needed.
- Ensure that you are seeking records. Not information or answers to questions that are available on the School District No. 67 website.
- Do not ask questions or seek answers in a FOI request. You must request "records".
- Review the Fees for FOI Services section and ensure you understand and are willing to pay the fees, if applicable.
- Be as specific as possible on your request.
- Try to name the exact record(s) you seek.
- Use specific dates and/or locations if applicable.
- Do not submit a request that is a duplicate of a previously submitted and fulfilled request.
FOI Request Process
All formal FOI requests must be submitted in writing. You may use the FOI Request Form if you choose.
The Act allows 30 days for response. The requestor will be notified if there is a need for an extension. The reason for the extension, require length of time and the right of the requestor to ask the Office of the Information and Privacy Commission to review the decision will be outlined.
Fees for FOI Services
Application Fee: A non-refundable application fee of $10 is required for all general record requests (except for requests for access to your own personal information). This application fee must be paid at the time of submission.
Section 75 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act provides that the District may charge fees for:
- locating, retrieving and producing the record;
- preparing the record for disclosure;
- shipping and handling the record; and
- providing a copy of the record.
No fees will be charged for:
- a request for the requestor's own personal information
- the first three hours spent locating and retrieving records responsive to a request, or
- time spent severing information from a record.
The requestor will be notified in writing of the estimated costs, above the initial free 3 hours and will have the opportunity to cancel their request without incurring any additional fees.
If the requestor proceeds with the request, a 50% deposit on the estimated fees is required before commencing with the request.
Fees for the service are charged in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Regulation.
Fees can be paid by submitting a cheque to:
School District No. 67
425 Jermyn Avenue
Penticton, BC V2A 1Z4